Saturday, 7 April 2012

Perfect Bun Tutorial

I have a quick little picture tutorial for you today using a hair donut.
I'm sure everyone has seen "hair donuts" or "sponge rolls" used to make a perfect bun. I got mine from eBay for around $1.47 with free shipping. They're really cheap and I find mine a necessity for everyday wear. I got the small sized one to start with but I am planning on buying the medium and large sized donuts for different looks.

I did find it hard to get used to when I first got it, I didn't know what was the best way to make sure the whole donut was covered by my hair. Thankfully I have now almost perfected the technique and thought I would share.

You will need only 3 things to complete this look:
1. 1 x Hair tie
2. 1 x Hair donut/sponge - I got mine here (mine is the "small blonde")
3. Bobby pins

Step 1: Grab your hair tie and put your hair into a high ponytail (or which ever height you would like your bun to be at)

Step 2:  Thread your hair through the hole in the center of the donut. 

















Step 3: Fan your hair around the donut.


















Step 4: Wrap your hair around the donut making sure it is covered by your hair (this is the hardest part!)











Step 5: Secure your bun with bobby pins and you're done!








So simple yet so effective.

I hope this helped a few of you girls that weren't sure on how to use them. I haven't done a post like this before so let me know if you liked it and I might be able to do some more.
I also hope you are all enjoying your long weekend!


Happy Easter


21 comments:

  1. Love this! Thanks for the tutorial. x

    http://jelinecatacutan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe gotta love the hair donut! Best invention ever!
    Love your tutorial babes! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know someone who has used an old sock as a hair donut but I have no clue how they did it!! Great tutorial, thanks xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the look of these and ive had a donut for ages but just havent worn it, i dunno why! maybe i will now, the look suits you so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those too! They're great.
    I made mine with an old pair of stockings & some dacron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just bought one of these today, only £1 - so glad i found this post so i know how to use it - your hair looks gorgeous :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bun turned out really nice, I now have to give this way a try as well. I looked up the donuts on ebay, I can't believe it never occurred for me to look there. I know you said you got the small, how do you think a medium one would work though, I feel as though my thick hair could handle a bigger one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this is lovely.. I really adore this so much. Thank-you for posting it!

    Lots of Love,

    Lily from Red Brick Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen these spongey donut things around but I always had NO idea what they were! but they actually seem really useful lol, I always struggle in making a bun with my hair (maybe it's too long and thick?) :( anyway thanks for posting this as I now know what they're for! I'll probably grab one off ebay now as they're so cheap :P
    love your blog btw, following you now :)

    metallicpaws.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Megan, you are GORGEOUS! And I loved this tutorial... I should be embarrassed to say (since I'm a hairstylist) that I've never seen these donut things around. But I'm going to have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. CAT JUMPER. Ooh it suits you so much! I love the high bun look. Kind of annoyed that I can't do it now that I've chopped off all my hair, haha! You look so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this tutorial!:D Great work! The bun looks beautiful!:D

    Stop by some time:D

    xxx

    Mia's Little Corner

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're so beautiful! I love this tutorial, I'd never understood how girls wearing their bun so big could do it with so little hair. Now I see...Ahah You should definitely keep doing these (and buy the furry coat - it'll look great on you!)

    I'm definitely following you.

    xo Joana

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so nice on you! I also bought it a few months ago, but I haven't worn it yet. :)

    http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. ah this looks amazing! i hate it when i do buns and strands of hair starts to come out, but this is great. might buy one of those doughnuts :)

    hope you'll visit back
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. your hair looks beautiful and love your shirt/jumper combo

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks really gorgeous, we both use donuts and they always create a flawless bun!
    JS xx

    http://januarysublime.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've just stumbled across your blog, what a great find. :) I must try this sometime! All of the buns I make without a donut are lacking and floppy. This would help, for sure. Megan, you are a stunner! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the lovely comments, we honestly do appreciate it.
Please feel free to leave your link so we can check out your blog. xo