Sunday, 20 May 2012

Get the look: Burgundy Lips




So if you've been around the beauty/fashion blogosphere lately you would have seen all the photos from the Met Ball. One thing I noticed amongst all the beautiful gowns was the dark red lips a lot of ladies were wearing and I absolutely love this trend. It's perfect timing for our winter months here in Australia. Here's how to get the burgundy lip! 

For the first step you want to make sure your skin is nice and glowy, I mixed an 
illuminator with Rimmel's Wake Me Up foundation to get a dewy complexion. 
The next thing you'll need to get this look is a nice soft highlight and a winged eyeliner. Keeping it nice and simple so you're not overdoing it with the dark lips. I used Mac's Soft and Gentle highlighter and Loreal's Hip Black Gel Liner. Apply your highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones and then just wing the liner out as much as you like, also apply your favourite mascara. 
Now for the fun part, I found it's probably best to line your lips when using such a dark colour so it doesn't run and ruin the look. You can even conceal your lips first if you like to make the colour as bold as possible. I lined all of my lips and filled them in with a Savvy lip pencil - if you're not looking for something too crazy you can just add a gloss over the liner for a more subtle dark lip. I did choose to use a lipstick though as I really like the dark lip. I used a  Maybelline lipstick in the shade Plum Perfect, I've had this for the longest time and I used to wear it a lot last winter. Just apply the lipstick as you normally do and fix up any messy edges with a cotton tip, and you're done! 
This is the final look, as I said I like to keep the rest of the face simple, but if you want you can add a blush or darker eyes. I hope you all liked this little how to, even though it's pretty simple. 
Let me know what you think of this look! 

Do you like the dark lip trend? Who was your favourite from the Met Gala? 

27 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous! It suits you so much! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love burgundy lips on you! They are one of my favourite trends for winter, I love how often Rachel Zoe rocks that look :) Great post, photos are really beautiful. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Emma that's so nice! I love Rachel Zoe's too it's pretty much her signature lip

      Delete
  3. The look looks lovely on you. All the Girls on top look fab, my fav is Jessica Alba. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Thanks for the how-to, I'll definitely be trying it out!
    dimplesdiaries
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful look! I think the lipstick suits you so well. And, you're very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this suits you so much!! it would look redic on my cos my lips arent lovely and pouty like yours

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're STUNNING! I love berry lips!

    xx,
    Jordana

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous look!
    I really like the deep berry tones for winter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah i love this tutorial!!!
    Great blog!

    Coco
    www.cocorrina.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm not much of a lipstick wearer but now I want to start! I'm (almost) gutted that its now Summer for me and would look a bit out of place lol

    Lisamello xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love burgundy lips! I think they are more classy than bright red! I love your blog xx

    {Satin&Souffles}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it, I think this will be my new favourite winter colour! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is fantastic to visit a site like this full of good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girl, you totally rock the burgundy lip look! Your features go perfectly with it! I love how you show the trend on celebrities, but was even more excited when I saw you demo it yourself too, way more approachable. Also, since I am already on a rant, I may as well I say I love your blog header too, its simple, pretty and perfect!
    Anyway, hope you are having a terrific day & thanks for sharing!
    xo Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks gorgeous! great post, I'll def be trying this xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, well spotted! It looks beautiful on you. We're heading into summer here in Ireland (so they tell us, not that you'd be able to tell!) so burgundy lips probably won't come around for another few months yet. I'm all about the sheer lip colours at the moment!

    Emma xo
    www.fluffandfripperies.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this colour I purchased a MAC one recently of this shade :)
    You girls rock- now follower here :)
    x

    www.catwalkofwords.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything about this look is amazing. I love this shade. come winter in the UK i can't wait to rock burgandy :)
    Subbed :)

    Jess xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a gorgeous lip color :). You pull off the deep red lip quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, it is gorgeous on you!

    http://heydahye.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this lip colour!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that it's Winter I'm falling in love with plum/burgundy colours. I'm not sure if I can pull plum lips off as well as you do, but I'll definitely try! Your photo quality/clarity is amazing. It definitely doesn't go unappreciated. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Suits you so well! Not sure I can carr off darker shades on my lips but I might give it a try!

    joanne from jimmilou.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. This lip color suits you so well!

    http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for the lovely comments, we honestly do appreciate it.
Please feel free to leave your link so we can check out your blog. xo